Checklist of Things to Look for When Buying a Used Car
The process of buying a car puts a lot of fear in some people, especially when buying pre-owned. There are many questions that might go through a buyers head, such as:
Who owned the car before me and what did they do to it?
Are things going to start falling apart as soon as I drive it home?
Is this vehicle really worth the value that I’m paying for it?
Here at American Automotive Group, we aren’t trying to hide the answers to any of those questions. Before we put a car on sale, we have a checklist of things that need to be completed and properly assessed before you’re able to buy. To help you with your buying experience, we thought we’d put together a similar checklist of things you should look for when buying a used car.
Like we said, we have nothing to hide, so use this checklist (you can use the image to print it out) to help alleviate your fears and make sure the vehicle your buying is exactly what you want. If you have any questions about our vehicles or about what is contained in this checklist, be sure to contact us.
Used Car Buying Checklist
- Does the vehicle provide sufficient passenger space?
- Does the vehicle provide sufficient cargo space?
- Does the price of the vehicle align somewhat closely with Kelley Blue Book or other pricing guides?
- Are you able to obtain a vehicle history report?
- Sufficient tire tread depth
- No fluid leaks
- Battery is in optimal condition
- Level suspension at all four corners
- All lights, including turn indicators, work
- Hoses and belts are not overly cracked or dried out
- Undercarriage is free of excessive rust
During the Test Drive
- Visibility is to your liking
- No unexpected noises to indicate mechanical problems
- Vehicle provides the acceleration expected
- Brakes are effective and don’t make noises
- Vehicle doesn’t excessively pull to one side or the other
- Instrument cluster is free of warning lights
- All gauges work
- All windows work
- All locks work
- Air conditioning and heat work
- Windshield wipers do their job
- Transmission is smooth
- Vehicle is free of odor
- Headline is in optimal condition
- Seats adjust to your liking